I have taken the last few years off from posting my goals, but I don't see any reason not to start up again. I'm not really one for resolutions, mostly because of their binary nature: either you succeed or you fail. Life is rarely like that. Goals are more my style: even if you don't get to 100% of your goal, you can still get 96% there, and that's something!
Since I didn't make official goals for 2011, here's a quick list of things I did this year that I'm pleased with:
- My second son, Ethan, was born in January, and in the last few weeks he's been starting to walk!
- I really started taking reading seriously. I read 23.333 books in 2011 (My goal was 24, and I'm still finishing up the last one). Getting a Kindle definitely helped with this.
- I released 4 updates to my various Mango Blog plugins.
- I presented on the CFMeetup (online) and at CF.Objective()
- I really started taking Git seriously, and it has been a boon of productivity. I'll never go back to SVN if I don't have to!
- I released my first near-native mobile app, The Squeeze, for BlackBerry Playbook. (I've since given up on the platform, but we still use our Playbook, because it's the best video camera we have.)
- I upgraded from a 13" Macbook to a 15" Macbook Pro. Buying used is definitely a good way to save money, but there are some pitfalls.
- I wrote an article for the Adobe Developer Center for Flex 3 developers who need to update their knowledge to Flex 4/4.5.
- Compadre Steve Rittler and I created, organized, and ran Philly Merge, a one day regional conference (Philadelphia) "For Entrepreneur-Developers and Developer-Entrepreneurs".
- I fell in love with TDD all over again when I realized how necessary it is to work on fragile setups, like those I was creating with ColdFusion's ORM.
- I participated in the How I Got Started in ColdFusion meme.
- I finally figured out freaking SPF records in DNS. Geez.
- While I haven't yet released Taffy 1.1, which was definitely a goal for 2011, I did get RC1 out the door and all that remains before 1.1 is officially released is to write more documentation.
- I created a GitHub "organization" dedicated to helping fill the gaps in CFScript.
- I proved once and for all why Tabs are Superior to Spaces!
Now, the fun part, my goals for 2012:
- Finally release Taffy 1.1. I really want this one done in the next month or two.
- Read 24 books. I felt like this was an incredible pace last year. Two books a month is still a pretty high goal for me.
- Do well in my presentation for CFObjective this year.
- Continue doing Yoga regularly. I started doing Yoga (again) in November or December of 2011 and it's been a great workout and really improves my flexibility and balance. My favorite video to follow is very fast paced, too, so I get a bit of a cardio workout in the process.
- Lose some weight. My metabolism is finally catching up with me (or I with it?)... and I'm starting to tip the scales into the overweight category. At least, it feels that way given the way the weight is distributed. Mostly I need to work on my gut. I would be thrilled to lose about 10 pounds, especially if the majority of it came from the mid-section.
- Make Philly Merge 2012 a reality.
- Watch the Phillies take the World Series trophy back. Ok, so this one is mostly out of my control. Except for the watching part. But I will take my part seriously!
Did I miss anything obvious?